If you are like us and need to eat low carb or gluten free (or just want to eat healthier) and still crave those carby type foods sometimes (but don’t dare eat them!!) this will satisfy you! This is also GAPS friendly!!
Here is a recipe for Banana Waffles that we LOVE!! (I found it on a website but I can’t remember where.)
4 large organic eggs- separated
1 1/4 cup ripe banana mashed (about one large)
2 heaping tbsp applesauce
2 tbsp raw honey
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Separate the eggs and whip whites with mixer until they are frothy
2. Add the honey, vanilla and mashed banana to the egg yolks and mix by hand.
3. Add baking soda and salt to the coconut flour and mix.
4. Add dry mixture to the wet and blend together.
5. If the mixture is very thick add water (up to half cup), a little more banana or apple sauce.
6. Fold in egg whites, being careful not to over mix. The batter should be loose.
7. Using a large spoon or small measuring cup, add the batter to the preheated and oiled waffle iron. Be careful not to overfill or you’ll end up with a big mess!
8. Remove when indicated by the waffle iron.
They are not really crisp waffles, they are moist and light; just the way I like them!
You can top them with cream (our favorite), syrup, fruit, nut/ seed butter or whatever your heart desires! They are delicious!