Lately I have just been craving Cumin!! I just can’t get enough of it and I am putting it on just about everything! In the past I have only used it in chili but I am finding it goes well with so many dishes.
I did a little research on it and what I found was that Cumin is really, really good for you!
1. It aids is digestion- it contains a compound that stimulates your digestive system to secrete bile acids and pancreatic enzymes that aid the digestive process.
2. It enhance’s the liver’s detoxification enzymes, and acts like a natural laxative that can help in treating constipation.
3. It increases your metabolism and improves the absorption of nutrients throughout your body.
4. It is good for treating respiratory disorders.
5. It is a good source of iron.
6. It helps to enhance immunity.
7. It also contains dietary fiber and has stimulating, anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties.
8. It is a good source of the essential mineral magnesium.
9. It may help control blood sugar levels.
Seems like you can’t go wrong with it, right?
Some of what I have been using it with are homemade breakfast sausage, lentils with kale, lima beans, burgers and I have even added it to spaghetti a few times. And, I am a loving the combination with cinnamon and honey as well! I would love to try it in something fermented… but I haven’t experimented with that just yet.
Here is a recipe for the BEST homemade breakfast sausage- ever!!
- 1 lb ground meat- turkey, pork, beef, chicken or a combination
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicey)
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch of cinnamon
1. Mix it all together
2. Form into patties, links or balls
3. Cook in a frying pan with a little coconut oil until cooked through.
Do you like to cook with cumin? What’s your favorite recipe?
Oh! And if you have a fermented food recipe using cumin I would love the recipe! 😉
This post is part of Fat Tuesday, Sunday School,Fight Back Friday, Pennywise Plater, Simple Lives Thursday, Real Food Wednesday, Homestead barnhop , Weekend Gormet, Make your own Monday, Sugar Free Sundays, Make it yourself monday,Fresh Bites Friday, Full Plate Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, Healthy 2 Day, Traditional Tuesdays, Weekend Gormet, Monday Mania, Creative Juices, Gluten Free Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesday