Yesterday for lunch I had those most amazing salad!
I found the recipe in the most recent publication of Whole Living magazine. I was thumbing through, it looked good and I had most of the ingredients so I gave it a go.
I am definitively making this again- totally yummy! I loved the contrast of flavors- salty balanced with sweet and sour on a bed of fresh greens!
I am betting I can get Blake to eat sardines when they are served this way!!
Do you eat sardines? If not, you should give ’em a try.
They are packed full of nutrition-
- They provide 3x more calcium and phosphorus than milk
- More iron than cooked spinach
- As much protein steak
- As much potassium as bananas
- 885 mg of DHA
- 210 mg of EPA
- Good source of B12
- Good source of Selenium
- Good source of Vitamin D
- Also good source of Coenzyme Q10
See- all that good stuff makes you wanna at least try sardines? Right? 😉
Here’s the how to:
- 1 lemon, zested, plus 3 tablespoons juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into 3-inch pieces
- 8 cups baby spinach (6 oz)
- 1 can (4.25 ounces) sardines, packed in olive oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced chives
- Whisk lemon juice and 3 tablespoons oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and stir in raisins.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, arrange prosciutto in a single layer and brush with remaining tablespoon oil. Bake, rotating halfway through, until crisp and deep golden brown, about 9 minutes.
- Arrange spinach on a platter and top with sardines, prosciutto, lemon zest, and chives. Drizzle with dressing and adjust seasoning as necessary.
I made one change to this, I didn’t have raisins so I used fresh grapes instead. I think the raisins would have been better.
This salad inspired me, while I was eating it I kept thinking that this would be really good with grilled or saute’d pears! Maybe I would eliminate the sardines if I add the pears… not sure yet, though. I will let you know how that goes if I try it. 🙂
Sooooo….. are you gonna try some yummy, good for you sardines?