I am sure your were lead to believe, just as I was, that fluoride was good for you and that it was a necessary ingredient in your toothpaste and drinking water, if it was missing you would surely have rotten teeth. But did you know that fluoride is actually bad for you and Studies have been done showing that there is little to no benefit to consuming it!
Not only is it a toxic chemical that can damage your brain, bones, kidneys and thyroid gland but also it can cause damage to your intestinal track. Since we (my son and I) are doing the GAPS diet to heal our guts we need to avoid fluoride at all costs, I don’t want anything to hinder our healing.
Some things that we have done to eliminate fluoride from our lives:
- We now drink and use only filtered water for cooking, etc.
- We changed our toothpaste, mouthwash and even dental floss to fluoride free brands and even some easy to make homemade versions. (see recipe below)
- We no longer eat processed cereals. For some reason they are extremely high in fluoride. (Not to mention the high sugar content in cereal is just plain a bad idea anyway!)
- We do not consume bottled juices, soda or alcohol which are also high in fluoride. (And again, high in sugar!!)
- And we no longer use Teflon pans for many reasons, but fluoride is one.
I have been playing around with different homemade “toothpastes” for a while now and have finally found one that I love!
This recipe is from The Thrifty Soaper:
Erins Yummy ToothpasteIngredients;baking soda appx 1/4 cupxylitol appx 1+ Tbssalt appx 1/2 tspliquid glycerine appx less than 1/4 cupessential oil 1-2 ml (maybe 1/4 tsp?)
I just combined all of the ingredients in a small glass bowl and keep it in the bathroom.
My teeth feel clean, the taste is nice and the texture is very similar to conventional toothpaste but without all the other crap like fluoride and artificial sweeteners. I like the addition of xylitol, it makes it paste a little sweeter and xylitol has been shown to reduce cavities!
If you are interested in reading more about the dangers of fluoride you can read more at The Fluoride Action Network.
This post is part of Full Plate Thursday, Creative Juices, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Keep It Real Thursdays, TGIF, GAPS Friendly Fridays, Fight Back Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Foodie Friday, Simple Lives Thursday